Friday 24 April 2009

David LaChapelle - Edgy, Wicked Modern Art


I finally made it to the David LaChapelle exhibition at the Monnaie de Paris. What an artist! I learned of the ultra-unique photographer/artist through the friend who I went with and then realised from my web searches that I recognised a few of the pieces that had made the headlines such as the one where glitzy dressed Paris Hilton is being 'gently' held by 2 cops (Hi Bitch, Bye Bitch – see photo). My first impressions from scanning his works on the web were; shocking, controversy, taboo....and then after further reflection, ironic, clever and even beautiful. These same impressions carried over to the museum during my visit but I was triggered with a lot more emotional charge and my eyes were hungry for more. David LaChapelle – obviously expression through art is what he does well depicting controversial, decadent, materialist pop culture in the lives of both celebrities and the ordinary. The only shortfall was that there was only a small selection of his works at the exhibit.
Look out for my next Art visit...coming soon....

No comments:

Post a Comment